Fires can occur from various causes, many of which are preventable. According to Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), electrical fires account for "51,000 fires each year, nearly 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage." Being surrounded by lights, phones, televisions, computers, video games, hover boards, and other electronics, electronic devices are used each and every day. Misuse of electrical appliances or neglect can put your home and life at risk. Prevent your home from falling victim to an electrical fire by following these safety tips:
Electrical and Fire Safety Tips
- Inspect electrical wiring to make sure it is in good condition and isn't damaged.
- Replace damaged/old wiring.
- Check the plugs on electrical devices because they can get damaged as well.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets as it can cause it to spark and start a fire.
- Keep flammable materials away from outlets.
- Use surge protectors to prevent a power surge.
- If you have children, make sure your home has tamper-resistant (TR) receptacles.
- Make sure smoke detectors are installed and are in working order.
Electrical appliances are not to be underestimated or forgotten about. Though these devices may provide so many positive aspects such as information, resources, social connections, entertainment, etc. they also have their fair share of dangers. Be aware of the potential fire hazards of electrical appliances. If a fire does occur it is important to know how to respond to the damages that resulted. Maryland and Washington DC residents who have undergone fire damage can contact SI Restoration for professional fire damage restoration services.