It is very important that you change your homes HVAC system filter monthly in order to reduce strain on the system and to help keep your home safe from fires and other disasters that could be caused by an overworked malfunctioning HVAC system.
- How to Buy the Right Sized Filter for Your HVAC System
- How to Change Your HVAC System Filter
How to Buy the Right Sized Filter for Your HVAC System:
Before changing your filter make sure your current filter fits your system well, check that it is catching all of the particles it needs to and fits in the filter chamber properly. If your current filter fits your filter chamber there should not be much dust sitting in the chamber and it should not have to be cut to fit into the chamber. If your filter fits simply write down the size of the filter (usually printed somewhere on the side of the filter) and bring your note with you to remember what size you need to buy. The size of filter you need may also be found in your HVAC System user manual. You can also write down the name and specifications of your HVAC System and bring it with you to your local hardware store and they usually are able to find what size filter you need.
How to Change Your HVAC System Filter (repeat every month):
- Step One: Make Sure that Your HVAC System is Turned Off
- Step Two: Locate the Chamber Were Your Filter is Placed
- Step Three: Open the Chamber & Take Out the Old Filter
- Step Four: Add the New Vent & Close the Vent Door
- Step Five: Turn Your HVAC System On
Changing Your HVAC System Filter (video):
Changing Your HVAC System Filter Steps (explained):
- Step One - Make Sure that Your HVAC System is Turned Off: It is dangerous to change filters while your HVAC System is still on because the system could start running before you are done. It is best to shut your HVAC System off to start the process
- Step Two - Locate the Chamber Were Your Filter is Placed: If your filter chamber is hard to locate consult your system’s user manual, however, the filter chamber is usually located on the side of the HVAC unit
- Step Three - Open the Chamber & Take Out the Old Filter: Take your old filter out and place it somewhere out of your way
- Step Four - Add the New Vent & Close the Vent Door: Add the new vent, make sure that it covers the vent, and completely close the vent door. If you can’t close the vent door then your filter may be too big and you will have to go back to the hardware store to get a smaller filter
- Step Five - Turn Your HVAC System On: Turn your HVAC system back on to make sure that it is still functioning properly and immediately throw out your old filter when you have completed this step
Once you have completed step five you are done! You must periodically check on your HVAC system to check for anything unusual including strange sounds. Remember your filter must be changed once a month to avoid strain on your HVAC system.