Some Common Types of Mold & Their Hazard Class:
Hazard Class A (Toxin)
- Aspergillus is the most common indoor mold but can be found outdoors as well. It is found in moist environments.
- Fusarium is commonly found in moist indoor conditions.
- Geotrichum is commonly in polluted water and sewage.
- Mucor is commonly found in soil, plants, manure, & decaying fruits & vegetables.
- Stachybotrys is commonly found in (long term) moist environments.
Hazard Class B (Allergen)
- Alternaria is a common allergy causing mold, often found indoors during the spring through late fall season.
- Cladosporium is common during the summer and can be found indoors and outdoors.
- Penicillium is commonly found on moist materials such as walls, wallpaper, floors, carpets, & other damp building materials.
Hazard Class C
- Chaetomium is commonly found in water-damaged buildings, it is a sign of a water problem.
- Ulocladium is commonly found in areas of high moisture levels like bathrooms, kitchens, & basements, also indicates water damage present.
Mold Can be Broken Down Into Different Classes Based on Their Level of Health Risks:
- Hazard Class A - (Toxin) Molds classified as Class A are the most hazardous types. These molds can directly impact health. It is critical to remove this classification of mold from the home immediately in order to eliminate the danger(s).
- Hazard Class B - (Allergen) This classification is less hazardous than Class A molds, but can still affect people's health. This group can cause allergic reactions, especially with prolonged exposure.
- Hazard Class C - (Non Health Risk) The types of mold in this group are not known for causing health risks but it can cause structural damage if left untouched.
If mold is present in the home then it is important to have it removed as soon as possible to eliminate possible health risks and further damages. A professional mold remediation specialist will be able to efficiently remove the mold infestation from the property. SI Restoration is a qualified professional helping residents of Maryland and Washington DC solve their mold problems.