Professional Mold Removal

Mold Remediation Professionals

One of the many frequently asked questions about mold is, “Why does mold grow indoors?”  Mold is an ever-present part of the natural environment as its spores, or seeds, are continuously circulated throughout the air in search of a habitable place to start a colony.  Mold spores are always both indoors and outdoors.  However, mold colonies grow indoors when its spores find a damp, dark, and humid environment to thrive.

Professional Mold RemovalSuitable areas for colonies to grow are usually bathrooms, kitchens, basements, crawl spaces, attics, and garages.  Due to the naturally high moisture content of these rooms, and in some cases the high humidity, mold colonies will grow on any organic, porous material found in these areas.  Some materials mold tends to grow on are carpet, padding, drywall, insulation, wood, furniture, fabrics, and boxes.

Though other factors like darkness and cleanliness play a big role in the growth of mold indoors, the key to stopping mold growth in its tracks is identifying the moisture problem.  It is important for property owners to understand where the moisture is coming from and why it has been able to grow mold.

Moisture / Mold issues can occur for the following reasons:

  • Leaking or Burst Pipes
  • Overflowing bath tubs, sinks, or toilets
  • Leaking windows, doors, or roofs
  • Flooding
  • Various other types of water damage

Before a professional mold removal service provider can properly assess the fungal growth, the moisture or water issue must be handled first in order to avoid further outbreaks.  In many cases, mold remediation specialists are also capable of handling water damage service as well.

It is important to contact a professional mold removal expert to handle mold growth because of the potential hazards mold exposure can cause.  Property owners should take every precaution necessary to ensure the protection of themselves and other members of the household by avoiding mold at all costs.

Mold can cause serious health hazards and allergic reactions like skin irritation, eye irritation, congestion/runny nose, high fevers and asthma attacks. If it is absolutely necessary to be exposed to mold for a lengthy period of time, personal protective equipment like gloves, goggles, and breathing respirators (N95 or better) should be used to prevent a negative reaction.

More information on mold can be obtained by calling the number at the top of the page or filling out a contact form. The IICRC Guidelines should be followed by whatever company you decide to hire, as they are the industry standard.

With over twenty years of experience in mold removal and remediation, SI Restoration is a trusted source for expertise on mold in locations across Maryland and Washington DC.

About Author: SI Restoration
SI Restoration specializes in Water Damage, Fire Damage, Hoarding Cleanup, Crime Scene Cleanup and Mold Removal.
Share Article